Promoting health behaviour change
Our Promoting health behaviour change training courses are designed to help frontline professionals promote health and wellbeing in routine one-to-one or group consultations with clients or patients. The courses are based on the concept of solution focused practice, which takes a positive approach to empowering individuals to identify what they want to achieve to improve their health. This approach is refreshing as it focuses on helping individuals discover how to achieve their goal(s) rather than trying to fix the problem(s) that they may currently have.
Who are the courses for?
The courses are ideal for any frontline professionals with a responsibility for promoting healthy lifestyles and working with individuals either one-to-one or in groups, for example:
Promoting health behaviour change training options
Our most popular promoting health behaviour change course lasts one day. The course can also be commissioned as a half day and two day option. For more information on the different option please click on the links below.
One day course
The aim of this course is to provide professionals with an overview of solution focused practice and introduce participants to key, practical Solution Focused skills to help promote health and wellbeing in routine consultations with clients or patients.
Specifically the course will provide:
- an overview of the solution focused approach to promoting health behaviour change
- an introduction to key practical solution focused skills and techniques
- a safe environment to practise solution focused skills and techniques in experiential exercises
- the opportunity to observe videos of ‘real people’ engaged in solution-focused consultations
- an outline of the key components of a typical first session followed by experiential exercises to practice delivering a typical first session with a patient or client
- ideas and examples of how to take advantage of opportunistic interactions with individuals and follow-up sessions
- facilitated group discussions to further understand solution focused practice.
At the end of the course each participant should be able to:
- identify opportunities for using solution focused practice to deliver on key health improvement priorities
- summarise the key aspects of solution focused practice
- distinguish between the problem-solving and the solution-building paradigm
- develop some solution focused assumptions and questions
- explain the importance of working towards an individual’s ‘best hopes’
- describe the patient or client’s role in generating their own solutions to their problems
- identify how to highlight and measure the patient or client’s progress towards their goals.
All participants will receive:
- a comprehensive course booklet
- a copy of the tutor's slides
- certificate of attendance
- one month's free email support from the tutor
For further information on the timings and format of the course, download the sample course programme.
Locally hosted courses
This course can be hosted at a venue to suit you anywhere within the UK mainland.
The cost to commission this course is £1,500. This price includes a full day (6½ hours) tutor-led session delivered by a highly skilled and experienced Solution Focused Practitioner, course materials, administration and an evaluation report. The course can be delivered to a maximum of 25 participants.
The cost of the venue hire, refreshments and local promotion are to be covered by the commissioning organisation.
How to book
If you would like to commission a Promoting health behaviour change course in your area please email email@example.com or call 01509 226418.