Resource & Publications Library
Search all our resources using our advanced search toolSEARCH
The BHFNC Helpline is an excellent and free service available to all professionalsCONTACT
Receive the latest news on physical activity and health straight to your inboxJOIN NOW
About the Older Adults Team
The BHFNC’s Older Adults Consultant aims to provide health professionals with information, guidance and support to raise the profile of physical activity for older adults. A variety of resources have been developed in recent years to help professionals raise the profile of physical activity across older adult networks and settings. These include:
- the Active for Later Life resource
- physical activity guidelines for older adults
- Active Ageing Events resources and toolkits.
The Older Adults Team also organises a range of training courses and events for professionals working across older adult networks. Training courses include; 'Someone Like Me Peer Mentor Physical Activity Programme' and 'Active Ageing' seminars. Additionally the team provide training and support for mentors working to support participants within research trials including the PROACT 65+ trial (London and Nottingham) and the VIPUK2 (Manchester).
The team is also engaged in a range of international partnerships which include working with:
- The International Council on Active Aging
- The Active Aging Community Centre
- The European Health Enhancing Physical Activity (HEPA) Older Adults programme
…as well as a range of UK-based organisations:
- The DWP Age Action Alliance Public Heath Working Group
- Scottish Long Term Conditions Alliance
- The National Coalition on Active Ageing.
Areas of expertise and interest in the team include: falls prevention, physical activity and dementia, motivation and senior peer mentoring. Furthermore, the team are currently involved in organising the exciting 8th World Congress on Active Ageing to be held in Glasgow in 2012. Visit www.wcaa2012.com for more details and to register.
The Older Adult Team comprises:
Bob Laventure – Older People Consultant
02476 741143 or email@example.com