Make the 2012 legacy live on - Free training in your area
Resource & Publications Library
Search all our resources using our advanced search toolSEARCH
The BHFNC Helpline is an excellent and free service available to all professionalsCONTACT
Receive the latest news on physical activity and health straight to your inboxJOIN NOW
New EYFS Framework launched
The Department for Education has published the revised Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), for implementation from September 2012.
The EYFS sets the standards for early years development, learning and welfare from birth to five years of age. It provides a structure to guide practitioners with providing effective provision in their early years settings.
The new EYFS framework aims to:
- reduce bureaucracy for professionals, simplifying the statutory assessment of children’s development at age five
- simplify the learning and development requirements by reducing the number of early learning goals from 69 to 17
- put a stronger emphasis on the three prime areas which are most essential for children’s healthy development, communication and language, physical, and personal, social and emotional development.
- provide parents with a new progress check at age two on their child’s development
- strengthen partnerships between professionals and parents, ensuring that the new framework uses clear language.
The importance of physical activity to childrens' physical development is highlighted. This includes helping children to develop an understanding of the importance of physical activity for their own health.
The framework is mandatory for all early years providers from 1 September 2012 including maintained schools, non-maintained schools, independent schools, and all providers on the Early Years Register.
Download: Early Years Foundation Stage Framework
- Publication Date:
- 11 April 2012