Resource & Publications Library
Search all our resources using our advanced search toolSEARCH
The BHFNC Helpline is an excellent and free service available to all professionalsCONTACT
Receive the latest news on physical activity and health straight to your inboxJOIN NOW
Taking part survey released
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has released the latest data from the 2012/13 Taking Part survey. This survey provides national estimates of adult and child engagement with sport, libraries, the arts, heritage and museums and galleries up to June 2012. The Taking Part survey is a continuous annual survey of adults and children living in private households in England.
Key findings: Sport and active recreation
- 44.6% of adults participated in at least one session of 30 minutes of moderate intensity sport in the last week.
- Since 2005/06, participation of adults in at least one session of 30 minutes of moderate intensity sport in the last week has increased significantly overall for all adults and for the following age bands: 25-44 year olds, 45-64 year olds, Age 75+.
- However, there has been no change since 2005/06 using this measure for participation of 16-24 year olds, currently 57.1%. 56.2% of adults participated in active sport at least once in the last 4 weeks.
- 26.3% of adults participated in at least three sessions of 30 minutes of moderate intensity sport in the last week.
The report also considers the impact of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games on sport and physical activity participation, although the survey was conducted before the Games took place.
Key findings: The 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- In 2012/13 Q1, 8.1% of adults reported that the UK winning the bid had motivated them to do more sport or recreational physical activity.
- A significantly higher proportion of BME participants compared to participants with a white background, said they were motivated to do more sport, voluntary work or cultural activities as a result of the UK winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics.
Download: Taking Part 2012/13 Quarter 1
- Publication Date:
- 12 October 2012